Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Zino Francescatti Violin Recital

Cover design by Alex Steinweiss
(restored by Peter Joelson)
A modest offering for my first upload following the Mediafire debacle, but one very dear to my heart.  I first owned this set in 1974, when I was 11, having purchased it from Clark Music, the mom-and-pop store that I spoke about in this post.  As I recall, the cost was $3.94, and it was something of a revelation to me that classical music could be found on ten-inch discs in album sets!  I associated the smaller format with popular and children's records.  Here are the details:

Violin Recital
1. Tartini: Variations on a Theme of Corelli
2. Shostakovich: Polka from "The Age of Gold"
3. Debussy: La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin
4. Debussy: Minstrels
5. Schumann: The Prophet Bird
6. Wieniawski: Caprice in A minor
Zino Francescatti, violin; Max Lanner, piano
Recorded April 12 and 25, 1946
Columbia Masterworks set M-660, three 10-inch 78-rpm records
Link (FLAC files, 43.6 MB)
Link (MP3 files, 26.7 MB)

I believe this album contained the first piece I had ever heard by Shostakovich (at the time, I thought it sounded pretty weird!), as well as by Tartini and Wieniawski.

All files going back to May 2012 are now up and running.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful!!! I'm delighted to see you up and running again so quickly. From my downloader's perspective, HotFile is as easy to use and as fast as MediaFire. Francescatti is one of my favorite violinists and it's great to be able to hear him in this set of short pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection - many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bryan, i love you.
    You brought me such wonderful music since i have found your blog.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always surprised that the Columbia classical catalog got as far as 4310 by 1949. That was a lot of LPs to have in the production line since the introduction of the LP in 1947.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not modest at all - a real delight. Many thanks, Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this connection If anyone is interested. I have several other violin album collections. Ready new St 2056949094 by text message.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete